Frugal Fixups - Changing Door Lock



Well, today's episode was that I felt like changing the locks on my apartment door as the landlord has the keys and as much as I trust him, the fact that its the same lock from before means anybody could have kept a copy. Better be safe than sorry.

So here is how my lock looks like.


There were a lot of choices...

1- should i buy an extra lock?
2- should i buy a new one to replace this one?
3- should i bring it to the locksmith?
4- smartlock

A lock only (without the matching door knob) will cost you roughly 40-60$ for a very standard model. The 40$ model is a standard single cylinder.

Single or Double Cylinder: single cylinder would basically mean that from the inside, you can unlock/lock with just a knob. Double cylinder means you need a key in the inside. Looks like the average joe should go for single cylinder.

The 60$ one has interesting technology of Smart Key. Smart Key means that you can set your lock to match a key, in about 10seconds. Pretty cool but well, how often do you want to do that? unless you rent out your place and change tenants all the time, I dont really see the use. Super cool though! Probably would have bought it just for the sake of following technology.

And there's of course the electronic ones SmartCode that you see on the same home depot page. Pretty awesome if you want to give codes that are specific to your tenants and when they move out, you just erase that code from the list. This is also great since you dont have to carry around yet another key. I have way too many keys right now, and a few, nobody really knows what it does but since you have it, you might need it one day... so it accumulates.

Now because I live in an apartment, my building has regulations, we need to have the same lock style. That limited my options to just going to the locksmith. It is sort of weird because I'd need someone to sit in my condo while I go change the keys and have the lock smith change the locks. This would cost 20$.

This post was mostly to talk about SmartKey as its the find of the day. Enjoy

[This month's STAR sponsor!]

Comments

  1. Wow wow that smart key lock sounds amazing! Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yeah. If you get a chance to use it, please let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found lots of interesting information here. The post was professionally written and I feel like the author has extensive knowledge in the subject. Keep it that way this is very good to see.


    quality door

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also live in an apartment, and just like your case, we also have a regulation where we need to have the same lock style. But, in my case, once the door lock gets broken, the management is in charge to fix it. I think that regulation is fair since we have a keyless access system. We're assured that our broken locks will be replaced without us breaking too much sweat. I'm wondering if you have that same policy.

    Myrtice Savedra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that you'd be left with only two out of the four options – 1 and 3 – as apartment buildings normally follow a design and aesthetic style. Anyway, did you inform your landlord about it? Honestly, I'm a bit caught in the middle of telling and not telling. Not that you shouldn't trust him, as you said you do, but there is just a disturbing feeling when you know someone else can access your room anytime. Rachelle@University Lock & Security, Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts